When teaching new entrepreneurs and authors about strategically connecting with influencers and potential shoppers, I exploit the three-sentence rule to focus a message. I’ve used it myself, and with shoppers, to set up new enterprise relationships, referrals and even coveted guide endorsements.
To clarify this rule, let’s faux we’re introducing ourselves to an influence dealer named Riz Clargley:
Expensive delete me
Critically. Don’t use the phrase “Expensive” to greet somebody, until that individual is your grandparent.
As an alternative, use “Ms. Clargley” or just “Riz.” Including a easy “Hello” or “Hey” can be acceptable. The purpose is to be your self, transfer straight to the primary sentence and keep away from alerting the recipient to the truth that you’re a frightened rookie.
Sentence 1: Why
Inform Clargley why you’re interrupting her busy day in a single punchy line. This sentence should include these particular components:
- Why the recipient ought to care about your e mail. This would possibly embody some shared widespread private or skilled connections. Maybe you’re from the identical residence state or college. Casually point out one or two of these shared pursuits, however don’t sound like a stalker.
- Proof you’re accustomed to their work, achievements and worldview. For instance, “I really like your newest weblog, and I’m writing with a associated query.” Familiarity with Clargley’s skilled world exhibits respect and lets her know this isn’t a type letter.
Sentence 2: Who
Present Clargley who you might be and what you convey to the dialog. In different phrases, reply this query within the recipient’s thoughts: Who is that this individual and why ought to I care? Make it clear you’re a peer who brings worth to the desk. In fact, do that in a non-overt approach. As an alternative of claiming, “I’m a reasonably large deal, founding father of the most well liked new startup,” attempt one thing like, “My workers generally ask me related questions relating to…”
Discover you didn’t point out your title or the scale of your small business, however this line exhibits Clargley you’re a chief of an organization and have greater than zero employees. No employees? No downside. Point out shopper points, which exhibits you could have shoppers, or some a part of your background that conveys you might be on a successful monitor.
By the way in which, in case your signature declares you’re each president and CEO, this indicators smallness, not greatness.
Sentence 3: What
In case your actual purpose is a telephone name, don’t ask, “Might we’ve got a telephone name a while?” This requires consideration and questions on when and the way lengthy. As an alternative, write, “Is Monday at 2 or 3 p.m. a very good time for me to name your workplace for a fast 8-minute chat?”
This sentence tells Clargley you respect her time, are prepared to do the time-zone math, and all she must do is decide up the telephone. No matter your “ask” is, make it clear and easy to say “sure” to.
Get to the topic
Now that you simply’ve articulated a transparent who, what and why, think about the perfect topic line on your e mail. The purpose of your topic line is to:
- Keep out of spam folders.
- Be opened, not deleted.
- Begin the dialog on the precise foot.
I like to recommend topic traces which can be tailored for the recipient. For instance, “Fast query about your article on management” or “Suggestion from our mutual pal, Landy.”
Cryptic topic traces like “Query” or “Connecting” will seemingly be ignored.
P.S.: Extra writing suggestions
- Don’t use a P.S. until you’re writing gross sales and advertising copy.
- Keep away from frequent “I” contact. In case your three-sentence e mail has the phrase “I” or “me” in it six instances, preserve modifying.
- Be nervous, however don’t ship a nervous e mail. Humor, punchy writing and lack of awkward formality present confidence. Self-deprecation has no place on this e mail. Profitable persons are repelled by concern and gravitate towards confidence.
- Use an e mail tackle together with your firm area. Gmail will usually go to spam folders, and even when it doesn’t, lack of a bespoke e mail tackle exhibits you aren’t in it to win it.
- Brevity exhibits respect. Clargley is aware of if you happen to don’t respect her time, you’re not value taking time to answer to.
- Huge open areas make for nice studying. Have you ever ever acquired an e mail consisting of 1 lengthy 200-word paragraph? Don’t ship one thing much like Clargley. Put a clean line between each sentence of your e mail.
- Do your analysis and be sure you have the perfect e mail tackle on your potential shopper. If Clargley works at a big company and you may’t discover her e mail tackle, attempt to discover out her assistant’s tackle. The identical guidelines apply to emailing assistants.
You’ve got one probability to make a connection, and this opportunity lasts about 10 seconds. Be sure to don’t waste it.
This text was printed in August 2017 and has been up to date. Photograph by Elena Katkova/IStock