You in all probability already know that I’ve turn into more and more disillusioned with the usage of plant medicines.
There have been many, many components that went into this variation of perspective, which I wrote about in depth in a preferred, considerably controversial two-part article collection, The Massive Downside With “Plant Medicines”: (learn Half 1 right here and Half 2 right here). Then, final month, I adopted up with a podcast fully dedicated to the subject of plant drugs.
A key guide I learn that considerably knowledgeable my choices on this subject was titled Pharmakia: The Biblical View of Drug Use, by Robert Orem. This can be a guide that I typically point out nowadays after I’m discussing plant medicines (and in my view, in the event you’re utilizing or desirous about utilizing plant medicines, this can be a guide you have to learn). Many individuals aren’t even conscious that the Bible refers to drug use (the truth is, there are 37 distinct references to medication within the Bible), however Robert’s guide is greater than only a thorough investigation into what the Bible says about medication. It is usually a robust, hope-filled message of hope, love, and freedom from habit for drug customers and addicts, or people who really feel like they’re closely hooked up to or depending on plant medicines.
Robert, my visitor on this podcast, is a Christian, former drug addict who researched the Bible’s references to drug use for a few years. A instructor in jails, therapy facilities, colleges, and church buildings, he lately launched In Step Fellowships, a biblical restoration group for every type of habit.
In in the present day’s podcast, Robert shares his private historical past with plant medicines and drug habit, what the phrase “Pharmakia” actually means, his fascinating views on whether or not God created plant medicines for particular functions, and way more. (And P.S., in the event you’re as on this subject as I’m, positively hearken to this upcoming Saturday’s podcast, too.)
Throughout our dialogue, you will uncover:
-Robert Orem’s journey in direction of plant drugs…08:10
- Pharmakia: The Biblical View of Drug Use by Robert Orem
- The standard Eighties get together boy trying to have an excellent time
- Not even conscious of the time period “plant drugs” at the moment
- Additionally began weight coaching on the similar time he began utilizing pot
- Hooked on euphoria and leisure, creativity, and good occasions
- Was nonetheless “useful” – higher exercises, higher inventive writing periods, and many others.
-Did Robert ever get into ayahuasca and mind-expanding non secular exploration?…12:03
- Began smoking pot in junior highschool, was smoking each day in senior excessive, hit the health club each day, took cocaine, mushrooms, and a few prescription drugs, however drug of alternative was marijuana
- All the things modified throughout his freshman 12 months of faculty whereas doing prescription drugs
- Had an expertise that shamans consult with as “being thought” – the thoughts is taken over, and also you obtain a imaginative and prescient or a stage of understanding that’s supernatural
- Second when he noticed his future and noticed all the pieces in his life falling aside, had his first of many panic assaults
- Went downhill from there – left faculty, broke up with a girlfriend, began dwelling in a van, psychological well being points
- Spent 8 years making an attempt to cease, however nothing labored
- Tried 12 Steps
- Was launched to shamanism, Buddhism, Hinduism, meditation, and many others., and began studying philosophical books, Zen books, and non secular books
- It by no means occurred to him to crack open a Bible or name out to Jesus; was not an choice he thought of
- Relapsed, then became a Christian and noticed God working in a robust method, accepted Jesus Christ
-The hyperlink between drug use and spirituality and the hazards of it…21:14
- The usage of psilocybin and non secular expertise – Psilocybin can event mystical-type experiences
having substantial and sustained private which means and non secular significance
- Medicine shift you right into a state much like the state of non secular enlightenment – much like prayer and meditation
- Many atheists turn into conscious of God and the non secular world after psilocybin or DMT use
- For some, the potential of those compounds might imply the salvation of humankind
- Aldous Huxley
- Timothy Leary
- The thought of utilizing medication as a crutch to permit somebody to be non secular is harmful
- Creates non secular laziness by counting on capsules to get to God
- Opens individuals as much as different non secular entities that would possess them
- Some come again with triggered schizophrenia, bipolar dysfunction, or feeling of being possessed
- What the Scriptures say:
- 1/3 of all of the angels rebelled in opposition to God and adopted Devil and have become demons
- God condemns the usage of medication
- Robert’s experiences with drug use after changing into a Christian
- How meditation removes the whole need to strive medication to get non secular experiences
–What’s pharmakia? Is it the usage of medication particularly for divination?…35:15
- It’s necessary to not develop the definition of the time period to the areas the Scripture doesn’t tackle
- It is also necessary to not prohibit the definition of the time period to eradicate practices that the Scripture addresses
- Pharmakia: The Biblical View of Drug Use by Robert Orem
- Pharmakeia A Hidden Murderer by Dr. Ana Mendez Ferrell
- Pharmakia refers to any substance that folks use to enter an altered state of consciousness, aside from reliable medical want
- Pharmakia within the Bible is related to idol worship and the follow of witchcraft
- So-called “journeying” is identical as shamanic flight or astral projections
- An intentional out-of-body expertise, during which both the witch or the shaman initiatives their non secular physique into the non secular realm
- It’s achieved through the use of medication
- Whereas within the non secular realm, they’ve their encounters with no matter gods they’re searching for to come across
-White magic shamans declare they’ll go into battles with demons or darkish spirits via the powers of Jesus and God. Is that additionally pharmakia?…40:23
- Three Greek phrases related to drug use
- Pharmakia – witchcraft or idolatry that features the usage of medication
- Pharmakos – the one who’s working towards pharmakia
- Epano – the excessive one, refers to individuals utilizing medication, in magic or not
- Exodus 22: 18 – a verse from the Outdated Testomony that clarifies pharmakia
- Moses, talking on behalf of God, says: You shall not allow a sorceress to dwell
- Sorceress, in Greek being pharmakos, right here utilized in feminine type, refers to a witch utilizing medication to carry out magic
- The usage of medication for non secular functions is condemned and listed together with bestiality and idolatry
- The Outdated Testomony story of Nadab and Abihu, sons of Aaron (Leviticus 10:1)
- They provided unauthorized fireplace earlier than God, and fireplace got here out from the presence of the Lord and consumed them
- The Lord stated to Aaron: You and your sons are to not drink wine or different fermented drink everytime you go into the tent of assembly, or you’ll die.
- They entered into God’s presence below the affect, they usually made a mistake, and it value them their lives
-Oils and incense utilized by Holy clergymen are a psychedelic combine and an exception to pharmakeia?…56:19
- One other reference to pharmakos is in Malachi 3
- A prophecy of what Jesus would do to the clergymen of Israel when he returns
- In verse 5; So I and can come to place you on trial, I might be fast to testify in opposition to the sorcerers (pharmakos)
- Revelation 21:8 – what Jesus thinks about utilizing medication
- “However the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexual and the sexually immoral, those that follow magic arts (pharmakos in Greek, medication, particularly), the idolaters and all liars, they are going to be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur, that is the second demise”
-The grandfathers of plant drugs and their resentment of Christianity…01:03:33
- Aleister Crowley was an occult magician and referred to himself as the nice beast; a pharmakos who deliberately needed to contact demons
- Aldous Huxley first wrote The Doorways of Notion and Heaven and Hell and described his use of mescaline
- Timothy Leary and Aldous Huxley knew that one of many major impediments to the unfold of medication is the Bible
- The one approach to true immortality, true happiness, and salvation is a perception in Jesus Christ, which permits us to have union with God
- Medicine are an ideal approach to briefly make us assume we do not want that
- It’s a brand new faith with false non secular experiences
- All Devil has to do is persuade us that there’s one other approach to come to God aside from Jesus Christ, and he is bought us deceived
- The how is thru Jesus Christ
- The who’s those that have put their religion in Jesus Christ
-Did the church have quite a lot of affect from the usage of entheogens?…01:13:44
- The Immortality Key by Brian Muraresku
- The guide modified Robert’s view of how the traditional Greeks and Romans used wine to worship Dionysus and Bacchus
- They in all probability had hallucinogens resembling ergot added to the wine
- Satisfied Robert that pharmakia within the context of pagan idolatry was way more frequent, not solely in historical Greece however possibly even in Israel
- Robert thinks Brian didn’t show his important thesis, that hallucinogen use was frequent among the many first Christians
- Did it ever occur? Did the early Christians actually use ergot?
- Did it occur continuously?
- If it did occur continuously, was it orthodox follow?
- Throughout his crucifixion, Jesus refused the wine that contained some kind of narcotic he was provided
- Apostle Paul talks concerning the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons
-And way more…
- Parts Of Vitality with Dr. John Lieurance, Ben Greenfield & Pals: December 2, 2022, 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM EST.
Dr. John Lieurance & Ben Greenfield supply a uncommon expertise to discover the weather of Earth, Fireplace, Air, and Water with distinctive therapies, applied sciences, modalities, and biohacks to symbolize the therapeutic powers of every aspect individually. Study extra right here.
Sources talked about on this episode:
– Robert Orem:
LMNT: Everybody wants electrolytes, particularly these on low-carb diets, who follow intermittent or prolonged fasting, are bodily lively, or sweat so much. Go to DrinkLMNT.com/BenGreenfield to get a free reward together with your buy!
Lucy Nicotine Gum: In case you are on the lookout for a cleaner and tastier different to different nicotine merchandise, Lucy is for you. To avoid wasting 20% on any order, head over to lucy.co simply use low cost code BEN20.
Clearlight Sauna: If you wish to sweat buckets within the privateness of your personal house, go to HealwithHeat.com and use code: BEN for a reduction and free transport – the free transport alone is a large saving as a result of these saunas are massive, heavy, and well-made!
Parts of Vitality Occasion: Be part of Ben in Sarasota, Florida, with Dr. John Lieurance on Friday, Dec 2nd, from 8:00 am-5:00 pm for a uncommon expertise to discover the weather of Earth, Fireplace, Air, and Water with distinctive therapies, applied sciences, modalities, and biohacks to symbolize the therapeutic powers of every aspect individually. Declare your spot in the present day at bengreenfieldlife.com/elements-event.
Inside Tracker: InsideTracker supplies you with a personalised plan to construct endurance, increase vitality, and optimize your well being for the lengthy haul. Get 20% off the complete InsideTracker retailer while you go to insidetracker.com/ben.
BiOptimizers (Magnesium Breakthrough): The 7 important types of magnesium included on this full spectrum serving allow you to chill out, unwind, and switch off your lively mind after a protracted and tense day so you may relaxation peacefully and get up feeling refreshed, vibrant and alert. Go to bioptimizers.com/ben and use code ben10 for 10% off any order.
Do you’ve gotten questions, ideas, or suggestions for Robert Orem or me? Go away your feedback beneath, and one in all us will reply!