It’s autumn in North America, and that implies that owners and contractors are busy eradicating suburban leaves. It’s nearly unattainable to keep away from the deafening roar of gas-powered leaf blowers.
Right here’s what we all know, no doubt:
- Utilizing a leaf blower is unhealthy for the listening to and respiration of the consumer, typically a low-paid employee with no actual choices.
- They’re annoyingly loud, and might be heard from blocks away.
- There are a lot quieter, safer and cleaner options, simply out there. In the long term, they’re additionally cheaper.
We additionally know that:
- In a single hour, a gas-powered leaf blower will emit as a lot carbon dioxide equal as driving a typical inner combustion engine automobile 3,000 miles. (That’s not a typo). The main points are right here.
- The aggressive nature of commodity backyard care pushes gardeners to decide on the quickest, least expensive possibility, whatever the prices to the employees, the neighborhood or the local weather.
- The know-how to exchange gasoline leaf blowers is confirmed, cheap and available. And but… They’re nonetheless right here. And the reason being that they’re handy, a sunk price and a short-term revenue hack.
The answer, if we’re critical, is to ban gasoline leaf blowers. The replacements pays for themselves in a couple of weeks. As soon as the aggressive enjoying discipline is re-set, gardeners will come out forward. Worker well-being will enhance, and the leaves will nonetheless get blown.
So what’s the issue?
We’re not critical sufficient about making change occur. If we cared sufficient to get two dozen associates and neighbors to point out up on the village corridor, the laws might be modified in a couple of conferences.
However typically it’s simpler to do nothing.