Welcome to The Tim Ferriss Present, the place it’s normally my job to deconstruct world-class performers to tease out their routines, habits, et cetera that you may apply to your individual life.
This time round, we have now a really particular version that includes Dr. Mark Plotkin and Brian C. Muraresku.
Mark takes over my duties as host and interviews Brian for an episode of the Vegetation of the Gods podcast. You, my pricey listeners, are listening to the audio earlier than anybody else, so this can be a Tim Ferriss Present unique. I’ve beforehand featured a few of my favourite episodes from that podcast at tim.weblog/plantsofthegods. These episodes cowl a variety of fascinating floor.
So, who’s Dr. Mark Plotkin? Mark (@DocMarkPlotkin) is an ethnobotanist who serves as president of the Amazon Conservation Crew, which has partnered with ~80 tribes to map and enhance administration and safety of ~100 million acres of ancestral rainforests. He’s greatest identified to most people because the creator of the e book Tales of a Shaman’s Apprentice, some of the standard books ever written in regards to the rainforest. His most up-to-date e book is The Amazon: What Everybody Must Know. You’ll find my interview with Mark at tim.weblog/markplotkin.
And the visitor at this time is Brian C. Muraresku. Who’s Brian? Brian (@BrianMuraresku) graduated Phi Beta Kappa from Brown College with a level in Latin, Greek, and Sanskrit. The Immortality Key: The Secret Historical past of the Faith with No Title is Brian’s debut e book. In 2020, it grew to become a New York Instances bestseller, and Audible named it “Better of 2020” within the Historical past class. His web site is brianmuraresku.com. You can even discover him on Instagram @brian_muraresku.
It is a tightly packed 55-minute interview. Mark and Brian cowl the Eleusinian Mysteries, the pagan continuity speculation, early Christianity, classes from famed non secular scholar Karen Armstrong, neglected facets of influential thinker William James’s profession, historic wine and historic beer, experiencing the divine inside us, the significance of “tikkun olam”—repairing and enhancing the world as we go—and far, rather more.
Please take pleasure in!
Delivered to you by GiveWell.org charity analysis and efficient giving and 5-Bullet Friday, my very personal e mail e-newsletter.
The transcript of this episode will be discovered right here. Transcripts of all episodes will be discovered right here.
#646: Brian C. Muraresku with Dr. Mark Plotkin — The Eleusinian Mysteries, Discovering the Divine, The Immortality Key, The Pagan Continuity Speculation, Classes from Scholar Karen Armstrong, and A lot Extra
This episode is delivered to you by GiveWell.org ! For over ten years, GiveWell.org has helped donors discover the charities and tasks that save and enhance lives most per greenback. GiveWell spends over 30,000 hours annually researching charitable organizations and solely recommends a number of of the highest-impact, evidence-backed charities they’ve discovered. In complete, greater than 100,000 individuals have used GiveWell to donate as successfully as potential.
This yr, assist the charities that save and enhance lives most, with GiveWell. Any of my listeners who turn into new GiveWell donors may have their first donation matched as much as $100 if you go to GiveWell.org and choose “PODCAST” and “Tim Ferriss” at checkout.
This episode is delivered to you by 5-Bullet Friday, my very personal e mail e-newsletter that each Friday options 5 bullet factors highlighting cool issues I’ve discovered that week, together with apps, books, documentaries, devices, albums, articles, TV exhibits, new hacks or methods, and—after all—all kinds of bizarre stuff I’ve dug up from all over the world.
It’s free, it’s at all times going to be free, and you may subscribe now at tim.weblog/friday.
What was your favourite quote or lesson from this episode? Please let me know within the feedback.
SCROLL BELOW FOR LINKS AND SHOW NOTES…
SELECTED LINKS FROM THE EPISODE
- Join with Brian Muraresku:
Web site | Twitter | Instagram
- Join with Dr. Mark Plotkin:
Web site | Vegetation of the Gods Podcast
Amazon Conservation Crew | Twitter | Fb
- The Immortality Key: The Secret Historical past of the Faith with No Title by Brian Muraresku | Amazon
- Vegetation of the Gods: Their Sacred, Therapeutic, and Hallucinogenic Powers by Richard Evans Schultes, Albert Hofmann, and Christian Rätsch | Amazon
- Mark’s Evaluation of The Immortality Key | American Botanical Council
- Again to the Future | Prime Video
- The Eleusinian Mysteries: the Psychedelic Cult That Thrived For Almost 2000 Years | Gizmodo
- Roots: The Saga of an American Household by Alex Haley | Amazon
- The Odyssey by Homer | Amazon
- Eleusis: Mysterious Historic City Named European Tradition Capital | Greece Is
- Kykeon: The Mysteries of An Historic Psychoactive Drink | Truffle Report
- The Highway to Eleusis: Unveiling the Secret of the Mysteries by R. Gordon Wasson, Albert Hofmann, and Carl A.P. Ruck | Amazon
- Was the Kukeon a Psychedelic Beer? | r/AskHistorians
- The Sacred Mushroom and the Cross: A Examine of the Nature and Origins of Christianity Throughout the Fertility Cults of the Historic Close to East by John M. Allegro | Amazon
- Rick Doblin — The Psychedelic Domino That Suggestions All Others | The Tim Ferriss Present #440
- Find out how to Change Your Thoughts: What the New Science of Psychedelics Teaches Us About Consciousness, Dying, Habit, Melancholy, and Transcendence by Michael Pollan | Amazon
- This Is Your Thoughts on Vegetation by Michael Pollan | Amazon
- Michael Pollan — Exploring the Frontiers of Psychedelics | The Tim Ferriss Present #365
- Michael Pollan — This Is Your Thoughts on Vegetation | The Tim Ferriss Present #520
- Lophophora Williamsii (Mescal, Mescal Buttons, Peyote) | North Carolina Extension Gardener Plant Toolbox
- Nitrous Oxide (Laughing Gasoline) | Drug Science
- The Nitrous Oxide Thinker | The Atlantic
- Peyote: The Sacred Cactus | Vegetation of the Gods
- Did the Romans Principally Steal All Their Concepts from Historic Greece? | Quora
- Gnosticism | Web Encyclopedia of Philosophy
- Dionysian Mysteries | Wikipedia
- Mark 4:11 KJV | Bible Gateway
- The Affect of the Thriller Religions on Christianity | The Martin Luther King, Jr., Analysis and Training Institute
- Ayahuasca and Creativity by Benny Shanon | MAPS
- Harmala Alkaloid | PsychonautWiki
- Chemically-Induced Otherworldly Experiences of Zoroastrians in Iran | ESPD 55
- Dennis McKenna — The Depths of Ayahuasca: 500+ Classes, Fundamentals, Superior Matters, Science, Church buildings, Learnings, Warnings, and Past | The Tim Ferriss Present #523
- Zoroastrianism | Wikipedia
- Alcohol within the Bible | Wikipedia
- The Loss of life of Socrates – Wikipedia
- What Killed Socrates? Toxicological Concerns and Questions | Postgraduate Medical Journal
- Early Christians Would possibly Have Been Excessive on Hallucinogenic Communion Wine | Vice
- Hallucinogens, Therapeutic, Tradition, and Conservation | Vegetation of the Gods
- Detection of a Beer Brewed at Godin Tepe (Iran) 5,500 Years In the past | Beer Research
- The Position of Cult and Feasting within the Emergence of Neolithic Communities: New Proof from Göbekli Tepe, South-Jap Turkey | Antiquity
- Which Got here First, Beer or Bread? | Quora
- The First Wine & Beer: Chemical Detection of Historic Fermented Drinks | Analytical Chemistry
- Midas Contact | Dogfish Head Craft Brewed Ales
- Mushroom Knowledgeable Exhumes the Stoned Ape Concept | Massive Assume
- How the Drunken Monkey Speculation Explains Our Style for Liquor | The Atlantic
- The Worth of Reality | Philosophy Discuss
- Pontifical Fee for Sacred Archaeology
- What’s Communion? Its Which means and Symbolism Defined | Bible Examine Instruments
- This Hallucinogenic Fungus Would possibly Be Behind the Salem Witch Trials | Uncover Journal
- Altered Minds: Mescaline’s Difficult Historical past | Nature
- The World’s Largest Psychedelic Analysis Middle | The Tim Ferriss Present #385
- US Veterans with PTSD Flip to Psychedelic Medicine Abroad as VA Frustration Grows | Navy SEALs
- Roland Griffiths, PhD — Life’s Final Glide Path, An Surprising Stage IV Prognosis, Dealing with Loss of life, How Meditation and Psychedelics Can Assist, and The Artwork of Residing a Lifetime of Gratitude | The Tim Ferriss Present #641
- The God Paradox: Brian Muraresku & Karen Armstrong | After Skool
- What Is a Zen Koan? Historical past and Interpretation of Koans | Being Zen
- Zen Grasp Henry Shukman — 20 Minutes of Calm, Plus the Unusual and Highly effective World of Koans | The Tim Ferriss Present #560
- Henry Shukman — Zen, Instruments for Awakening, Ayahuasca vs. Meditation, Intro to Koans, and Utilizing Wounds because the Doorway | The Tim Ferriss Present #531
- Roland Griffiths | Horizons New York 2022
- Self Unbound: Ego Dissolution in Psychedelic Expertise | Neuroscience of Consciousness
- The Immortality Key: Psychedelics and the Historic Age with Brian Muraresku & Prof. Carl Ruck | Jordan Peterson
- Lucy In The Sky With Nazis: Psychedelics and the Proper Wing | Psymposia
- Excessive Instances Journal
- Kambo: The Controversial Drug Derived from Careworn-Out Frogs | The Guardian
- Tikkun Olam: Repairing the World | My Jewish Studying
- [07:24] Who’s Brian C. Muraresku?
- [09:19] The Eleusinian mysteries.
- [11:51] The ridicule of Carl Ruck.
- [16:18] Why are these concepts solely being accepted now?
- [18:22] How the Eleusinian mysteries influenced Christianity.
- [23:54] A mind-altering Eucharist?
- [28:07] The function of beer and wine within the basis of civilization.
- [31:31] Patrick McGovern.
- [33:33] Stoned apes and/or drunk monkeys?
- [39:04] Altering attitudes on the Vatican.
- [40:13] What’s happening at Harvard Divinity College at this time?
- [43:14] Karen Armstrong and the God paradox.
- [50:57] Ethnobotanists discover mates in unusual locations.
- [51:55] Doing good on the planet based mostly on the otherworldly.
- [54:21] What’s the Amazon Conservation Crew (ACT)?
- [56:10] Psychedelics at Harvard didn’t start with Leary and Alpert.
- [58:35] Studying from previous errors and respecting the heritage of compounds from which we profit.
Associated and Beneficial
The Tim Ferriss Present is one of the most well-liked podcasts on the planet with greater than 900 million downloads. It has been chosen for “Better of Apple Podcasts” thrice, it’s typically the #1 interview podcast throughout all of Apple Podcasts, and it has been ranked #1 out of 400,000+ podcasts on many events. To hearken to any of the previous episodes without spending a dime, try this web page.